Have you lost a tooth or two? Find out if a dental bridge is right for you. We often recommend this treatment for those who:
- Are missing one or more teeth
- Have an otherwise strong, stable bite
- Aren’t interested in surgical treatment
We’ll evaluate your needs and help you decide if a bridge is the best option for your health and future.
Missing teeth are not only aesthetically unappealing, but the absence of teeth can also lead to certain oral health problems and bite misalignment. There are several ways missing teeth can be replaced, dental bridges being one of them.
Dental bridges are a procedure, available at our dental clinic in Panchsheel Park New Delhi, and Sushant Lok and Tata Primanti, Gurgaon, to replace a missing tooth. Missing teeth don’t only appear unsightly, but can also cause an irregular bite, gum disease, and remaining teeth to rotate or shift out of place.
A dental bridge is so called because it is used to bridge the gap created by a single missing tooth or multiple missing teeth. The gap is bridged by inserting an artificial tooth, known as a pontic, in the gap, which is anchored in place by attaching it to the teeth on either side of the gap, known as abutments, through the use of crowns.
How Does a Dental Bridge Work?
A tooth bridge fills the empty space in your mouth — typically without the need for surgery — and can be completed in as little as 2-3 weeks. In some cases, we may recommend placing implants on either side of the gap to serve as the attachment point for your bridge. In others, your neighbouring healthy teeth may be covered with a crown which will then hold the bridge in place.
Why Choose a Dental Bridge?
Each tooth replacement option has its own advantages. Dental bridges, for instance, are the treatment of choice for some patients because of the following benefits:
- The convenience of a fixed appliance means you do not have to remove it each night like removable dentures
- Anchor to other teeth provides a stable, secure appliance for eating, speaking, and laughing
- Restores an aesthetically pleasing smile
At The Dental Roots, New Delhi, and Gurgaon, our experienced dentists regularly use dental implants to make dental bridges even more secure. For an implant-supported bridge, the tooth crowns are attached to dental implants instead of natural teeth. For this reason, this type of dental bridge is used when two or more teeth are missing.
When is a Bridge Required?
- Replace a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining.
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing.
- Restore a fractured tooth.
- Cover a dental implant.
- Cover a discoloured or poorly shaped tooth.
- Cover a tooth that has had root canal treatment.
- Bridges are commonly used if you’re missing one or more teeth. They cover the space where the teeth are missing and are cemented to natural teeth or implants surrounding the space.